News that the fast-food chains sandwich sold out nationwide has brought one lawsuit and at least two incidents of violence
A man pulled a gun at a Popeyes restaurant in Houston on Monday, after being told it had run out of the fast-food chains insanely popular chicken sandwich.
The Popeyes sandwich generated national buzz soon after it was released, with a clever social media campaign, in the middle of August. Long lines formed at restaurants and national newspapers and websites ran reports, reviews and OpEds about an unexpected cultural phenomenon.
In its own review of the sandwich, which simply contains battered chicken, pickles and sauce, the Guardian said: Its probably not going to save America and it bears only a passing resemblance to true love, but it is very, very good.
Last week, Popeyes said the popular new comestible had sold out nationally.
You ate em ALL, the company said. Legit proud of you.
Popeyes told the Washington Post it was working tirelessly to bring the new sandwich back to guests as soon as possible. Fans were told they could sign up for the restaurants app, through which they would be told when the sandwich was available again.
This news was not universally welcomed. In Tennessee, according to NBC, a man sued the restaurant chain for $5,000, alleging false advertising.
In Houston, things got more serious. Restaurant employees told a local TV station that three men, two women and a baby at the drive-through and were told the chicken sandwiches were sold out. One of the men produced a gun, the employees said, and the group left the baby in a vehicle before trying to get inside the building. They were locked out.
It was more of an aggravated assault because he was displaying a weapon and threatened employees, Lt Larry Crowson of the Houston PD told ABC13.
The group left the premises in a blue SUV. Police were viewing surveillance video and asking the public for tips.